LBI Film ClubCafé Nagler
Café Nagler (Mor Kaplansky, GER/IL, 2015)
Director: Mor Kaplansky
During the 1920s, Café Nagler was the hottest place in Berlin. Mor, the film’s directorembarks on a journey to find out what’s left of her family’s legendary café. Her grandmother follows the filming with great anticipation. When Mor discovers the true story behind the café, she is unable to break her grandmother’s heartand looks for a creative solution. Café Nagler is a film about memory, about our need for family myths, about our longing for a different past.
Shown all over the world at film festivals like the 66th Berlinale, the Haifa International Film Festival and the All Lights India International Film Festival, Café Nagler is a unique fictional documentary “which subtly recalls the crucial part the German Jews once had within Berlin culture” (Berliner Morgenpost).
Directed and written by: Mor Kaplansky
Co-directed by: Yariv Barel
Produced by: Liran Atzmor, Yariv Barel and Mor Kaplansky
Executive producer: Hedva Goldschmidt
Edited by: Arik Lahav-Leibovitz, Idit Aloni
Original music by: Eran Weitz
Documentary, 59 min, 2015
Language: Hebrew, English and German with English subtitles
The link below will be active for 150 free viewings for a limited amount of days – from 26/05/22 to 01/06/22.
Manual for streaming “Café Nagler” – LBI Film Club
1. Please click the link https://vimeo.com/r/3wsQ/NjhrUk5sL2.
2. Now a window will pop up asking for your first and last name, your email address and a password. Please enter these details and create a password, then click Join with email.
3. Next, a screen will pop up, stating that you have received a “promo code” (LeoBaeck), which replaces the streaming charges, making the movie accessible to our audiences for free. Click Continue.
4. Click Watch Now for a free viewing of Café Nagler.
5. Should instead the message ‘Unhandled video error’ appear on your screen at this point, please stay signed into Vimeo. You will receive a confirmation email (Subject: You purchased Café Nagler on Vimeo) in your inbox shortly. Please go to this email and click ‘Watch now’.
To activate English subtitles, click “CC” on the lower right of the movie frame.
Enjoy the movie!
We wish to thank Hadar Taylor Shechter at go2films for supporting us and organizing access to this film for our viewers.
Further LBI Film Club screenings will be announced via our LBI website, Facebook (Leo Baeck Institute London), Instagram (@leobaeckinstitutelondon), and Twitter (@lbi_london) in the future. Please keep checking!
Leo Baeck Institute London
2nd Floor, Arts Two Building
Queen Mary, University of London
Mile End Road
Tel. +44 (0) 20 7882 5690/5689
Fax +44 (0) 20 7882 6901